A Parent Forum is a body of parents, representing parents, run by parents with the support of the school.
Parent forums can provide an excellent opportunity for parents to come together, share ideas, and put forward their views to the Headteacher and governing body of their school. They can break down barriers, perceived or actual, between the school and parents who are less involved in the school.
Benefits for children
- Children behave better and achieve more when their parents are involved in their education.
- Their parents will receive advice and information about how to support their learning.
- Their concerns can be resolved more quickly when their parents have a positive relationship with school staff.
Benefits for parents
- Parents active involvement in decision-making is increased, fostering a culture of ownership and participation.
- They get the support and advice they need to help and encourage their children with their learning.
- They have more information about their children's education and the quality of
- their education.
- They can build their own confidence, skills and social networks, leading to personal
- development and increased employability.
- Parent Forums can improve working relationships between the school and parents who are already involved in the school.
Benefits for schools
- Schools are able to develop a better understanding of the views and needs of parents and how they might address them.
- Parents contribute time, ideas and skills which complement the ideas, skills and expertise of staff and governors.
- Parent Forums enable the school to keep parents informed and allow them to be part of decision-making processes.
- Parents become involved in all aspects of school life.
- Parent Forums provide a clear route for parents as a group (rather than as individuals) to feed back to the school and governing body.
- They can reach out to parents who are currently less engaged or not at all engaged with the school and overcome some of the barriers which prevent parents from engaging with the school.
Below is a list of Parents who are on the core group of the Forum. If you wish to raise an item for discussion at the Forum then please approach one of the names below, alternatively you can send an item for discussion to the Forum via the school office, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sharon Cox, Steve Dawson, Nigel Dickinson, Sarah Griffiths,
Vicky Hagon, Louise Hilton, Alyson Hudson, Juliet Lee,
Rachelle Moist, Liz Moreno Everett, Aukje Noorman, Katherine Peak,
Louise Rymer, Aukje Noorman, Jane Young